Saturday, October 18, 2008

Year Supply


This is our year supply of milk. Carter named her Woopsie. We went and picked her up in Humbolt yesterday and it made for a long day, but an adventure nonetheless. Her previous owner got teary-eyed when we loaded her up to go. She was attached to the cow, I guess. Kind of different back-hills type people, Jason said they reminded him of people from Tennessee.We were trying to feed her sweet feed but it wasn't sweet enough for her... my kind of cow! She is real gentle and will let you pet her all over. She has been known to give up to 10 gallons of milk a day. I don't know what I am going to do with all that milk! We only drink about 3 gallons a week! So if anybody would like to buy some fresh, organic, raw cow's milk let me know. We are going to have to breed her to get a calf and a milk supply going. So we are going to have to wait 10 months before we can start milking her. Just enough time to get her nice and fat!

Keaton loved sitting on the fence post! He cried when we took him off, he wanted to stay up there and supervise. Silly boy gotta love him! He loved being outside in the sunshine.

6 comments:

Jill Rogers said...

She loves me and is crazy scared of carter.I think we are bffs! hehe .hey will you put up that pic with me and the cow so i can get thanx bye!-katie

Scott, Tauna and Camille said...

Hey Jen, you're such a farm girl now! Are the chickens next? They stink really bad, but fresh eggs . . . ! So with all that milk you'll have to make lots of butter. With the cream you'll have to make lots of ice cream. Both of those can be frozen and stored. If I think of any other way to use milk I'll let you know. Your best bet is to sell it and make money. People will do it because milk costs more than it should! You go girl. I'm proud of you.

Rob and Mitzi said...

Jen! You are a way better wife than I am. I would probably put up with Rob getting a cow although I'm pretty sure he never will. However, I don't think I would be nice enough to even think about using the milk. We milked a cow when I was little and that's what we used for milk. BAD MEMORIES! I hope that doesn't scare you though. You are just a much much much better wife than I will ever be! AMEN!

Cambria said...

Looks good! I make cheese with a lot of the extra milk we get, it is easy and yummy!

Cambria said...

Raw milk is the best for you, and so good for kids. We actually have goat milk, but it's all the same. Making cheese: 1/4 C. vinegar to 1 gallon of milk. Heat the milk to 160, add the vinegar, let it sit for 20 min. then strain in a cheesecloth or something. Then we let it sit in the cloth overnight in a collandar in the sink so it can drain really good. I usually put a gallon of water on top of it to get it to drain better. Bottling is not hard, it is a lot of work, but so so so so worth it. Especially when you can get the produce for free. Let me know if you have any questions! So good to chat with you=)

Cambria said...

I let the cheese cure for a day or so covered in a cloth on the counter.